Nutrition Education - School Meals
Seventeen percent of Humboldt County households lack the financial resources to fully meet their basic food needs at all times. No one should go hungry—check out the links below to learn more about local programs that help provide healthy food for families.
Local schools offer nutritionally balanced low cost and free meals to students through the following child nutrition programs:
- National School Lunch Program
- School Breakfast Program
- After School Snack Program
- After School Supper Program
These meals must meet specific nutrition requirements and include a variety of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, low-fat meat and dairy sources. Check with the school that your child(ren) attend to find out how to find out which of the above programs they operate and how to apply to participate.
CalFresh is a nutrition assistance program operated through the Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Social Services Branch that helps eligible household to purchase the foods they need for good health.
There are Several Ways to apply for CalFresh Benefits in Humboldt County:
- Apply at any DHHS Social Services Branch office:
- In Eureka: 929 Koster Street. 1-877-410-8809
- In Garberville: 727 Cedar Street (707) 923-2759
- In Hoopa: 1200 Airport Road (530) 625-4251